We’re happy to announce the arrival of the Beta program for several pieces of software that are all going to work collectively to deliver the latest game-changing technology from VMware, known as VM Volumes, or more intimately as “VVOLs.” It’s likely that you’ve heard about this technology over the last couple of years, as we have been previewing it at VMworld for some time now, and keep an eye out for a blog post from me on VVOLs, how it works, and what it means to you and your virtual datacenters.
For now you can legitimately test it out for yourself. But, as with any Beta program, there are some pre-requisites…
- To obtain the latest required versions of both vSphere and vCenter, you must also sign up for the VMware vSphere Beta program here: https://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/vsphere-beta
- In order to leverage VVOLs on NetApp storage systems, you will need Beta versions of two products:
- VSC 5.0.1
- VASA Provider 6.0 for clustered Data ONTAP
Some quick notes…
- Please thoroughly read both the README as well as the Quick Start Guide to get an introduction to VVOLs as well as how to install and leverage them with NetApp storage.
- VSC and VP6 .ova are located in a zip file. Unzip before installing.
- You will need clustered Data ONTAP 8.2.1 or later. Our VSIMs also support this functionality.
The purpose of any Beta program is always three-fold… to build excitement around an emerging product or technology, to identify issues/bugs/feature-requests, and to garner feedback on how we could do things better!
We want to hear your feedback! We would love to consolidate everything centrally here in this thread, but if you have something that you don’t want to say in the communities, you can always send VSC feedback to [email protected]
Happy Beta testing!
- 8 Comments